Scholarships are a crucial avenue for students to reduce college expenses while still affording a quality education. These awards are granted to students who exhibit exceptional academic performance and community involvement. By providing financial assistance, scholarships can cover a substantial portion of college expenses, allowing students to allocate their funds towards other priorities. Furthermore, scholarships can alleviate the burden of college costs for students who haven’t saved enough to cover tuition fees, enabling them to pursue their educational goals without financial constraints.
Tuition fees are arguably the biggest financial burden for college students, encompassing various costs such as tuition, mandatory fees, and other ancillary expenses that are not directly related to coursework. However, students can alleviate some of this financial pressure by securing scholarships. This article aims to provide information on some of the most notable scholarship opportunities available in India, which you can apply for.
Table of Contents
1. Tata Scholarship
The Tata Scholarship program aims to support up to 20 students at a time, ensuring that exceptional Indian students have access to Cornell University regardless of their financial backgrounds. The scholarship is specifically designed to remove financial barriers that may prevent talented students from pursuing their academic aspirations at Cornell.
To be considered for the Tata Scholarship, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be an Indian citizen
- Must have attended secondary school in India
- Must have received admission to Cornell University as an undergraduate student
- Must be eligible for need-based financial aid
Additionally, to apply for international financial assistance, applicants must complete the College Scholarship Service (CSS) PROFILE using Cornell’s CSS code (2098). The Office of Financial Aid may request further information as needed.
2. National Scholarship Examination
The National Institute of Career Education, located in Nashik, is currently accepting applications for the National Scholarship Examination in 2022. Successful candidates will be awarded scholarships from the 8th grade up to a Ph.D. level for the academic year of 2022.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants in grades V to XII studying under SSC, ICSE, or CBSE boards are eligible to apply.
- Students pursuing diploma or undergraduate courses in any stream can also apply.
- The examination is available in both English and other regional languages.
3. TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowships
The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under the Ministry of Science and Technology in India, in collaboration with UNESCO-TWAS, has launched a postgraduate fellowship program aimed at students from developing countries who are interested in pursuing Ph.D. research in the field of biotechnology.
To be considered for this fellowship, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants should apply for the fellowship starting from June 15, 2022, and should not be older than 35 years of age on December 31 of the year of application.
- Applicants must be nationals of a developing country (excluding India).
- Applicants must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Applicants must hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
4. Anant Fellowship
Anant Fellowship is a one-year postgraduate program that focuses on the Built Environment. The program aims to equip students with the necessary skills and knowledge to design, construct, and maintain a fair and just built environment. The curriculum is designed by top academics, industry experts, and global professionals, providing students with an unparalleled experiential learning experience. The Anant Fellowship is the flagship program of Anant National University in Ahmedabad.
To apply for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Completion of an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in any field prior to the start of the Fellowship. Those in their final year of study may also apply.
- Demonstrated dedication to enhancing the Built Environment and a thorough understanding of the related issues.
- A balance of outstanding academic accomplishments and extracurricular activities.
5. Sanskriti – Prabha Dutt Fellowship
If you’re interested in submitting a research paper or scholarship related to society, you should be aware of the latest fellowship program offered by the Sanskriti Foundation called the Prabha Dutt Fellowship.
- Only female Indian citizens are eligible for the fellowship.
- Applicants must be between 25 and 40 years of age.
- The fellowship is open only to print journalists.
- Selected fellows will be required to submit a specific number of articles to established publications. The fellow may also work on a book or monograph for future publication.
6. NEST Scholarship Test
The NEST SCHOLARSHIP TEST, also known as the Nationwide Education and Scholarship Test, is a highly recognized scholarship program that aims to reward the talented students of India. The program offers substantial scholarships to inspire and motivate students to pursue their education with greater enthusiasm and passion.
To be eligible for this scholarship scheme, applicants must be enrolled in science, engineering, or medical courses ranging from Class 7 to the postgraduate level. The scholarship is available to all Indian students as well as children of NRIs residing anywhere in the world.
7. NEC Merit Scholarship
The NEC Merit Scholarship 2021 aims to provide financial assistance to students from the North-Eastern Region who are pursuing studies in various disciplines at a recognized Indian institution. The selected students will be granted a stipend of up to Rs. 30,000/- per annum to support their academic pursuits in higher professional courses.
To be eligible for the NEC Merit Scholarship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a permanent resident of any of the North-Eastern states
- Must be enrolled in a diploma, degree, postgraduate, MPhil, or Ph.D. program
- Annual family income of the candidate should be less than INR 8 lakh from all sources.
8. Swami Dayanand Charitable Education Foundation Merit-Cum-Means Scholarships
The primary objective of this scheme is to provide scholarships to students from economically weaker sections of society, with the aim of increasing their chances of obtaining higher education and improving their employability prospects.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have secured a minimum of 85% marks in the twelfth class (Intermediate).
- The annual income of the parents should not exceed Rs. 6,00,000/- (Six Lakhs).
- The applicant should not be more than 25 years of age.
- The applicant should not be receiving any other scholarship from any other source.
9. Undergraduate Merit Scholarships – Symbiosis International University
Symbiosis International University has launched the “Educate Africa” program to strengthen the relationship between India and Africa. As part of this initiative, African students pursuing courses at any institute of Symbiosis International University can avail of a 30% concession/scholarship on their academic fees.
To be eligible for the scholarship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Possess a valid foreign passport.
- Have secured at least 75% as a qualifying grade in the 12th standard. If awaiting results, expected scores must be submitted (for Undergraduate programs).
- Have secured at least 60% as a qualifying grade in Graduation (for Postgraduate programs).
- Have taken an English Proficiency Test conducted by the British Council (IELTS) with a minimum score of 6 or the IELA Test with a minimum band of 3.
10. Samsung Star Scholar
Samsung Electronics Private Limited has launched a scholarship program to aid Indian students and support the company’s social responsibility endeavors. As a South Korean multinational company, Samsung is committed to providing Indian students with financial assistance to continue their higher education. The scholarship offers a sum of Rs. 2,00,000 to selected beneficiaries to cover their tuition fees, examination fees, and other related expenses.
To apply for the scholarship, the following eligibility criteria must be fulfilled:
- The scholarship is open to students who have graduated from any JNV (tenth or twelfth grade pass).
- For first-year applicants, the selection will be based on their All-India Rank, which is a Common Rank List (CRL) in the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE Main).