Most of us are aware that ‘Yoga’ is the oldest form of exercise that existed in our country. It holds a very essential part of our ancient history significantly mentioned in the Hindu Scriptures. These Scriptures explain the benefits of Yoga both for a healthy body as well as for a healthy mind. Practicing Yoga is not limited to any specific age, gender, or body type. Anyone with the determination can perform, accept or even adapt around Yoga and be able to make it a part of your daily lifestyle.
We as Human Beings are constantly developing and evolving with the time that includes hectic and stresses full lives for everyone in their daily routine in order to keep up with the race of being your best self. But when you are constantly running you forgot that you are missing out on your present and your health. For that to be regained and have mindfulness you must include Yoga in your daily routine to avoid burnout or exhaustion with your surroundings.
Several Benefits of Yoga
By doing Yoga on a regular basis can help you increase flexibility in your body because when you do Yoga poses it causes a stretch in your muscles that will make your range of movement better and reduces stiffness in your body.
So many people know that there are several types of Yoga poses which some are more relatively difficult to do than others but there is nothing you can achieve with practice. Like this, there are several yoga poses like Ashtanga and power yoga that require more physical activity but practicing these poses will help to improve le tone.
There are many types of Yoga poses that will benefit you differently when you practice them such as downward dog, plank pose and the upward dog will help to gain upper body strength and lower back.
Yoga pose like standing poses when you practice them while holding your breath for several minutes will help to improve strength in your hamstrings, core muscles, and quadriceps.
While practicing Yoga will not only improve your strength and flexibility but also helps to improve your posture. Many Yoga poses that are of standing and sitting will help to build your core strength because you will need your core muscles to balance yourself while maintaining these poses.
- Improves Breathing
While practicing yoga you have to focus your attention on breathing as well that helps you to relax after doing a pose under which many breathing techniques are included specifically according to the Yoga poses which is not similar to aerobic exercises or running.
- Healthy Heart
As we have already discussed other health benefits there is another as while practicing Yoga is that it also improves your heart health by lowering your blood pressure and reducing the heart rate but not dangerously. People who are suffering from any heart conditions will be most benefitted by doing Yoga as it also helps to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood and develops better immunity.
5 Yoga poses that can be done by everyone
- Gentle flow
- This Yoga pose is also known as Cat-Cow position in which you have to be on all your 4 limbs on the floor and have to change the movement repeatedly by facing forward and changing your back movement from arching outwards to curving inside like when water flows.
- This movement will improve the blood and lymphatic flow in your body and helps to mobilize all your joints. You can do this about 10-15 times for 5-10 minutes with 2 minutes of interval or as you like it depending on your body strength and flexibility. For guidance you can refer to this picture on how to do this pose.
- Mountain pose (Tadasana)
- This pose is very important in improving your posture because it also affects your breathing, digestion as well as your moods for the day. In this you have to stand erect with back arched , facing forward straight, externally rotate the quads aligned with hips and knees with arms on the sides and hand facing forward.
- You can maintain this position for 4-5 minutes along with deep breathing for at least 15 minutes in total with 2 minutes of interval or as your body strength and flexibility allows it. For guidance you can refer to this picture on how to do this pose.
- Downward Facing dog
- In this pose you have to be on all four limbs on the floor whit face facing downwards i.e. towards the ground.
- Supporting yourself lift your body upwards from the waist weighing you body weight on your shoulders and extend your legs by grasping the floor by your toes just like a downward dog so as this pose has given this name.
- Hold this position for at least 30 seconds till 1 minute, repeat this at least 10-15 minutes with 2-4 minutes interval or as your body strength and flexibility allows it. For guidance you can refer to this picture on how to do this pose.
- Standing Balance Pose
- This pose helps you to gain more strength in your limbs as well as improves your core strength. This pose is also called as Tree pose (Vrkasana) or Eagle pose (Garudasana) which helps to develop body awareness and strength in your body.
- This pose can be done for each side one at a time, in which you have to stand straight with back arched, join your hands in a Namaste pose, balance yourself by placing your left side foot on your right thigh inwards firstly for at least 30 seconds till 1 minute for 10-15 times depending on your body strength and flexibility allows it.
- Repeat this for the other side where you have to put your right foot on your left thigh inwards and hold the position again for the same duration. For guidance you can refer to this picture on how to do this pose.
- Supine position twist
- This is a very easy pose as compared to the downward dog pose and the Standing balances pose. In this pose you have to lie down on the floor or mat straight also called as the supine position with your arms spread out straight on both sides. After this you will bend your knees in the same position with your foot on the ground.
- Here you have to twist your waist or lower back and turn yourself from the waist down towards one side let’s say on the right side till the whole leg touches the ground and at the same time turn your head in the opposite direction of the legs , which is here the left side.
- This pose helps to improve your flexibility in your back and relieves tension. Practice this pose for at least 10-15 times for at least 15 minutes with 1-2 minutes interval or as your body strength and flexibility allows it.
- Repeat this exercise or pose for the other side also that is twisting your lower half body on right side with turning the head on the right side for the same duration.
Practicing Yoga in your daily life will not only improve your body physically but also improves your mental health also so let’s give it a try and you are going to make it in a routine in no less time.
Also read: All About International Yoga Day